You have a beautiful vacation rental home that guests will love and you’ve got the booking, now what? Certainly you want to make sure your guests have a fabulous stay, but what about doing everything you can to make sure they come back, or at least tell all their friends to book your property. Here’s a quick Top Ten checklist that can make all the difference in the world:
- Clean! Clean! and clean some more. It’s #1 on the list for a reason. Would you want to arrive to find someone else’s dirt?
- Make up a welcome pack for your guest. Perhaps a bottle of wine and some cheese and crackers, or simply making sure that there are some essentials in the cupboards like salt and pepper, coffee and tea, various spices and cooking utensils.
- Don’t skimp on your towels. More expensive ones will last longer, and definitely feel better, so it’s worth it in more ways than one. Pick colors that match your decor, or go with tried and true white!
- Stock a small bookshelf with a variety of books. Most people like to take some time to read on vacation, so having a variety is best. Try hitting the used book stores in your area for sales.
- Leave clear instructions for your guests. This can be as simple as a single page (in plastic will keep for longer) explaining how to run the dishwasher or the washing machine, or a full binder with photos for clarity. You can also include info on various activities to do nearby. No amount of information is too much information.
- Provide a stack of leaflets and menus for local attractions. If there’s a pile of brochures and menus in a prominent place in your home, guests are likely to add to it themselves if they find something worth doing nearby. That will make things easier for future guests too.
- Give them something to do if the weather isn’t so good. Board games and playing cards are a must if it’s rainy out. The weather can’t always be perfect, so make it easy for them to stay indoors for a time. Videos/DVDs are a good choice too. Make sure there’s something for families to watch together too!
- Keep the kitchen well stocked. The kitchen should have all the dishes and utensils that you have in your own kitchen. Lots of dishes, etc, will make sure they don’t have to continually wash what they use.
- Make it easy for them to clean up. Provide cleaning products, including dishwasher and washing detergent, toilet paper, etc. Renters appreciate not having to buy these things for a short stay.
- Make your home kid-friendly. Have a cots, stepping stool and high chairs available. It’s easy to find such items at a second-hand store, so you don’t have to spend much to make sure their stay is easy.
That’s it! 10 easy and inexpensive ways to make sure your guests keep coming back and tell their friends how enjoyable their stay was at your perfect vacation rental home. Happy renting!