Taking the time and extra care to make sure your vacation rental home is “family-friendly” is well worth the effort. It opens the doors to a wealth of potential guests.
Many families avoid traveling because they don’t want to cram into a single hotel room. Others start looking for vacation rentals to fulfill their amenity needs and comforts. Catering to families with children in various ages and stages by having extra things around the home helps travelers immensely. The more of the following items supplied, the more likely it is that you’ll be able to expand your target guest audience and have a full calendar of rentals all year round!
Items to keep on hand:
- Stair gates – for the top and bottom of any stairways.
- Folding cot – Put it away when your guests don’t have small children and offer it to your family guests when they do. Then can put the cot wherever the child feels most comfortable sleeping.
- High chair(s) and booster seats – One or two of these will make a HUGE difference to guests with small children!
- Microwave oven – This will make it much easier for guests to prepare quick meals or to heat up something when their child is hungry.
Some extras that also make a difference:
- Bottle warmer
- Electric bottle sterilizer
- Baby monitor
- Change table
- Plastic cups, plates and spoons
- Toilet trainer seat and a step-stool, to help them reach the sink
- A box of toys – This can include building blocks, toy cars, animals, dolls, kids books. Often, children are excited to play with any “new to them” toys. Make sure they’re safe toys, and don’t present any dangers to young children.
- Swing set/play equipment
It’s easy to find any of these things at your local thrift stores, so the cost to you isn’t that great, but the benefits to your guests are priceless. If you do even a few of these simple things, you’ll be sure to have families lining up to stay at your vacation home, and they will tell all their friends… who probably also have small children in tow!